Thursday, March 10, 2011

Illustration-a-day: I knew what to do once we got there.

We are often asking God for directions concerning what comes next in our lives. We want to know ahead of time what's going to happen and how we're going to get there. Much to our chagrin, this is not how life often presents itself. Most of our lives come at us unexpectedly.

That's really not as big of a deal as it seems. As a kid, I had no idea how to get anywhere and yet I still managed to get there. How? I jumped in the back seat and went for the ride. As a child, it wasn't up to me to know how to get places - it was, however, up to me to know what to do once I got there.

I think of a ministry our youth group had. We called it HOP (Helping Older People). The youth minister drove us around to older people’s houses. I didn’t know how to get there but I knew what to do when we got there (mow their yards). In the same way, we might not know when or how the road to the future will unfurl but as believers we should know what to do along the way. Constantly asking, “Are we there yet” will not speed up the trip. And it may actually distract from perhaps a better question, “What are we here for?”

- The Short Preacher

No comments:

Post a Comment