Friday, March 18, 2011

Illustration-a-day: I didn't know I was supposed to be seeing more

Recently, my eyes have been failing me. I'd get to about four o'clock in the afternoon and I just couldn't focus on anything anymore. It wasn't that I couldn't see, I could see fine (or so I thought) but man my eyes hurt. Reading was out of the question, but even watching TV seemed to be too much. So I went to the optomitrist. Interestingly, my eyes were not that bad, but they were just enough different from one another that after lots and lots of reading and computer work, they were fairly stressed out. He wrote me a perscription for some glasses.

The day I picked up my glasses, was quite a revelation. On the drive home I kept lowering and then raising my new glasses to my eyes. Amazing! I had no clue how much I'd been missing: individual leaves and twigs in the trees, the texture of the road, letters the street signs before you get to them. To be honest, the change wasn't as drastic as it is for most people with glasses - again, my perscription is a weak one - but I was giddy and my eyes rejoiced. No more stressing, squinting, and straining to see the world as it was meant to be seen.

The apostle Paul tells us that because of Christ's death on the cross we no longer "regard anyone from a worldly point of view." Instead, through the lense of God's love, we see them as they were meant to be seen, not as nameless faces, not as threatening competitors, not as hated enemies, but as men and women loved by God. When you look at others do you remember to look at them through the love of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment