- Humility: Which is more essential to your understanding of self your preaching or your relationship with Jesus?
- Temptation: Which bothers you more, the presence of sin in your life or preaching a bad sermon?
- Confession: When was the last time you were 100% honest with another person about the sin in your life?
- Repentance: What is a practical step you could take to turn towards Christ in your day to day life? What is keeping you from taking that step?
- Forgiveness: When was the last time you were a recipient of the proclamation of God's forgiveness and not simply the one who made the proclamation?
- Suffering/Crucifixion: In light of the fact that you proclaim the gospel of the One who was crucified, how do you define a successful sermon, a successful ministry, a successful career as a minister?
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Six questions for preachers to ask themselves during Lent
We're already a few weeks into Lent, the 40 day season of preparation before Easter. I've been pondering what Lent means for me as a preacher. I don't mean for my preaching, but rather, for me as a person who also preaches. What do the themes of humility, temptation, confession, repentance, forgiveness, suffering and crucifixion have to teach me as a preacher? If I'm honest, more than I probably care to learn.