Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Question of the week: Summer Sermon Series?

Hey friends.  I hope you had a blessed Easter season and have had some time to rest.  I've taken the first part of this week off to get some doctoral work done.  I'm not doing much on the blog either, but I'll pick it up again later in the week.  Until then, a question that needs your input.  Do you preach sermon series?  Do you have one planned for the summer or early next fall?  Can you share what you are doing or perhaps what you've done in the past?  The more of you who share, the more help this post will be for others.  Below is a series I've done before that worked well for me.

The Practice of Worship: Why we need to work at the worship of God - Psalm 100

Enjoying God: The Practice of Praise - 1 Timothy 1:12-19

Telling the Truth: The Practice of Confession - Psalm 73

Dying to Live: The Practice of Baptism - Romans 6:1-7

Life Together: The Practice of the Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Turning the World Upside Down: The Practice of Giving - Mark 12:41-44

A Saving Word: The Practice of Proclamation - 1 Timothy 4:9-16

4 comments:

  1. Summer is the hardest period of the year for me to decide what to preach. I've done a series on the Life of David. Last year I preached some great texts from Revelation. This year I'm following the lectionary in Romans.

    There are so many other things happening during the summer (in my life, church life, and in the lives of the people of the church), I struggle with finding rhythm during these weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is challenging for the reasons you mention. Sermon series where each week stand somewhat alone are probably a necessity. I've done a series out of Proverbs that worked well due to the topical nature of that book. The Psalms might also be a natural fit for the disconnected weeks of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, I think I am going to preach a summer series on the life of Peter. I am going to call it Changing Feet: Lessons from the Life of Peter. The title is honor of our beloved late professor Dr. Foster who used to say that Peter only opened his mouth to change feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, I love the sermon series title. I don't remember Dr. Foster saying that particular phrase but I can definitely hear her saying it. Thanks for the memory. Brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete